Saturday, January 21, 2023

King Tide

 I didn't expect to see any pups at the north end of the Piedras Blancas viewpoint, but as I looked over the beach, I heard a pup barking! Despite the high tide, two pups were there. One was safely behind the rocks, but the other was following his mother on the beach.


I hope that one got corraled behind the rocks, where he will have a better chance of surviving. 

The pup behind the rocks appeared secure, but when he went to nurse on the female next to him, she snapped at him. Apparently not his mother! Several  other females are close by, so I'm optimistic he will find his mother, or another accommodating female. With so many pups washed away, there are surplus mothers available.

The King Tide washed over pups and mothers on the south beach, but I didn't see any washed away.


Some pups are confused and seeking any mother to nurse on.


Bulls weren't fighting, and some had found females willing to mate. This male was especially impressive. One of the biggest noses I've ever seeen.


Quite an impressive guy!


No comments:

Post a Comment